Cakewalk Community

Cakewalk Community

News:

How to navigate in the project - Panu's method (Read 185 times)

Panu

more Offline
  • Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
  • Cakewalk Community Administrator
    • Cakewalk Community
How to navigate in the project - Panu's method
November 29, 2017, 08:59:21 PM
I am the fastest recording engineer and mixer in town (everybody say that, not just me). These are my essential key bindings that help me navigate in SONAR project:

Go to previous/next marker
I always add markers to song parts like this: Verse, Bridge, Chorus, Solo etc. If some part requires many takes to record, I may add a marker called '-2' two measures prior the punch in time to make a static location to start playback for the nervous client.

Goto marker commands need easy to find key bindings. I selected keys 1 and 2 because they are near left edge of the keyboard and easy to find even blindfolded. They are also near R and W buttons. R is often needed after going to previous marker. W (rewind) is good to be near because I can first press W to rewind and then press 2 to skip to desired part in the beginning of the song. 

W2 = Go to first marker.
W22 = Go to 2nd marker.
W33 = Go to 3rd marker.

Image: Keys 1 and 2  bind to Previous Marker and Next Marker.

Go to previous/next measure
This key binding is even more important than the first one.  Being able to navigate as fast as possible to the beginning of the previous measure, current measure, next measure is an absolute must for me. Left and Right arrow buttons are the perfect keys for this.

Arrow Left = Go to start of this measure. If already at start of this measure, go to start of the previous measure.
Arrow Right = Go to start of next measure or to start of next measure.

Default keys for these commands are Ctrl-PageDown and Ctrl-PageUp. I find pressing two keys at once too slow for this basic command I need even hundreds of times a day when doing some serious editing.  Arrow left and arrow right are intuitive keys to go left or right in timeline.

Go to start of selection / Go to end of selection
I've used this key binding only 6 years so it's a relatively new addition to my workflow. How do you go to the exact beginning of a clip by mouse? I don't know if that's possible if clip starts at free location. My solulution: select clip and press F7.

F7 = Go to beginning of selection
F8 = Go to end of selection

Clip must be selected first because key bindings use the selection start and end times.
Why F7 and F8? By default they are assigned to Global Move and Global Edit tool but I don't need key bindings for those. F7 and F8 keys are also easy to find blindfolded because there is space next to F8 key and they are located at the top of the keyboard.

I use F7 and F8 keys most when editing multi-track drums.

Bonus key binding:
Q = Mute clip.

Default key binding for Q is Quantize. It's not as much needed as clip muting. Q key is again easy to find at the keyboard and it's near the other important keys.

Q11R = Mute selected clip and move two markers left. Start recording again.

Thank you for your interest. :)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:11:12 PM by Panu »

Zargg71

more Offline
Hi. Great tip, Panu!
I'll try it myself.
All the best.

Bassman

more Offline
HI Panu:)

Q11R = Mute selected clip and move two markers left. Start recording again.

If you have Autohotkey you can lay this on 1 Keycommand, instead of pressing 4 times!

I have some Hotkeys in Sonar to Open the EQ Window (with mouse click) or to change the gain of an audio clip by 1,2 or 3 dB (increase or decrease), or to backup the latest 5 Directories to 2 locations (Backup and OneDrive).

Code: [Select]
#IfWinActive SONAR Platinum

^j::
Click 135,310,1
Send, {PgUp}{PgUp}
Click 165,450,1
Return

NumpadDot::
Send {,}
Return

7::
Send {Alt}m{Enter}g{Tab}-3{Tab 7}-3{Tab 2}{Enter}
Return

0::
Send {Alt}m{Enter}g{Tab}3{Tab 7}3{Tab 2}{Enter}
Return

8::
Send {Alt}m{Enter}g{Tab}-1{Tab 7}-1{Tab 2}{Enter}
Return

9::
Send {Alt}m{Enter}g{Tab}1{Tab 7}1{Tab 2}{Enter}
Return

^!5::
KeyWait Alt
Send {vk07}{LAlt}m{Enter}
Return

^!b::
source_Path   := "R:\"
FilePattern   := "*.*"
target_Path1  := "B:\Backup - Musik\"
target_Path2  := "A:\OneDrive\Studio - Record NAS\"
MaxCopys      := 5
Runwait, % comspec " /c dir """ source_Path FilePattern """ /T:W /B /O-D | clip",, hide         
Loop, parse, clipboard, `n, `r   
  {
    oCopy := source_Path A_loopField
    If (Instr(FileExist(oCopy), "D"))                                                   
        RunWait % comspec " /c xCopy """ source_Path A_loopField """ """ target_Path1 A_loopField """ /s /i /y",, Hide     
    If (Instr(FileExist(oCopy), "A"))
        FileCopy, % oCopy , % target_Path1 "\*.*"
    If (A_index=MaxCopys){
        RunWait % comspec " /c xCopy """ source_Path "*.*" """ """ target_Path2 "*.*" """ /s /i /y",, Hide     
        Msgbox 0x40000,, % "Copied last " MaxCopys " files/diretories modified!!"
        Break                                                             
    }
 } 
Return

#IfWinActive

Greetz,
Bassman.

Panu

more Offline
  • Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
  • Cakewalk Community Administrator
    • Cakewalk Community
Thanks for the heads up. AutoHotKey is cool and I have tested it a few times but always find myself doing key commands manually. I'll take a look on it again...

MUDGEL

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
Scoops the undisputed king of AutoHotKey. He’s written many of his little Utilities using AHK.
Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, Cubase Pro 9.5 x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.