Cakewalk Community

News:

SONAR Alternatives (Read 1053 times)

thedukewestern

more Offline
    • The Duke Western Dot Com
#30 Re: SONAR Alternatives
January 31, 2018, 04:20:48 PM
Here's whats funny - PT has a big marketing thing going on right now saying they are adding track templates .... havn't we already had that for like 6 years in Sonar?

I'm using it because a few of the other producers in the company use it, and from time to time I need to collaborate.  Theres a few guys that use studio one too... hmmm....   The other reason is that I have sonar files dating back to 2004... and if I am unable to open them in a few years due to obsolescence, I wanted to choose a company that stands less of a chance of that happening again.  It probably will though haha

bitflipper

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#31 Re: SONAR Alternatives
February 04, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
IIRC track templates go back to SONAR 7. If I'm right about that it'd be more like 10+ years.

There is no reason to assume you won't be able to open your SONAR projects years from now. You may not have all the same plugins, and might not have saved off presets in anticipation of a revival, but the projects will open. I have opened projects from Cakewalk 1.0 that I created in 1987. In all that time, Microsoft hasn't managed to kill SONAR, and I don't anticipate that it will anytime soon.

Not trying to make you nervous, but a more likely scenario is ProTools imposing some backward-compatibility issue that makes your old PT projects inaccessible. When you're running software that's no longer in development, you can at least be sure the vendor won't be messing it up or artificially coercing you into an upgrade.

thedukewestern

more Offline
    • The Duke Western Dot Com
#32 Re: SONAR Alternatives
February 06, 2018, 04:19:51 PM
"Not Trying To Make You Nervous"

I suppose I just don't trust much anymore - at least in this field.  The one main thing I have noticed about music in my 25 years of being in it... is that big business doesn't work... in music that is.  I live near clifton park NY, and its home to Parkway Music.  Its hands down the best music store in upstate NY, and signifigantly better than many in the big apple.  Its very much like Andertons music in the uk... attracting high profile buyers, beginners alike.  Great service, the best techs, their employees are entitled to retirement plans.  Its privately owned, not a chain.

To put it shortly... guitar center moved down the street... and even with all their tv ads... they didn't stand a chance....  Years later, the entire gc chain... is showing signs of the same. 

Thats what i loved about cakewalk... it was progressive, and accessible, and VERY VERY good.   I would have gladly paid more for it. 

Look at what is happening to labels...The internet gave music back to the people.

Over and Over, big business and music have never mixed, unless your journey

So - what am I doing with Pro Tools....  I don't know... I really don't.

So - I suppose this is just my morning coffee typing...

Regardless mr bitflipper - Im very happy to have this forum with you sir=-)

jackson white

more Offline
@bitflipper

I've been editing multiple MIDI tracks in S1. Took a bit of non-obvious configuration which can be saved as a template but looks like it has potential. There are some frustrating selection/active focus issues which are likely the result of differences in "work flow" between S1 and SONAR. Still working on those.