News:

SONAR Alternatives (Read 685 times)

ZMODs

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#15 Re: SONAR Alternatives
November 27, 2017, 10:43:31 AM
Mixcraft Sweetwater sale just ended @midnight. Went to JRRSHOP and got it for $84.15. MF still had it for $99 @12:30 AST.

Waiting for manually generated download license. 14 days left on demo so no hurry.

Good news if you think the GUI looks cartoonish. All GUI files are in a folder (mixrez) and can be repainted like Sonar's. So custom themes are possible.

Has Multidock style views. Docked views can be displayed on a separate monitor but not separated from each other.

Mixer has built in 3way EQ and can be stretched vertically full screen.

Clips have their own play, mute, loop buttons. Very handy for editing.

MIDI editing is probably not up to Sonar but I haven't got that far yet.

Has cool MIDI Learn button for setting up your controller. Just did mine (transport only controller) and couldn't have been easier. The missing Stop button means I have to use the controller's Play button for Play & Pause. No RTZ button and won't light up the controller buttons like Sonar will.

PRV keys turn blue when notes are played.

Colored markers.

CONs:

Time Ruler only displays Beats or Time, not both. Worse yet it affects both the Ruler and the Now Time. I like to have them showing opposite stats.

Like bit says, only one PRV @a time, but it's 3 windows in one: PRV, Step, & Score (staff), tho Step looks like PRV to me.

Track outputs can't go direct to your interface. Only to busses or main.

Only glitch I'm noticing so far is the softsynths tend to freeze up while playing them with the QWERTY keys.

Opens the 1st time with a cool demo song loaded!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:57:46 PM by ZMODs »

S.L.I.P.

more Offline
#16 Re: SONAR Alternatives
November 27, 2017, 11:54:28 PM
This was posted by someone who works for Acoustica.

"The $99 offer will be available to the public direct from Acoustica thru tomorrow (Tuesday) midnight. We plan to extend the $99 offer as an exclusive offer for Sonar users thru the holidays.  More details forthcoming later this week."

Here a link to the entire Mixcraft thread in the Software forum:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Mixcraft-m3690010.aspx

S.L.I.P.

more Offline
#17 Re: SONAR Alternatives
November 27, 2017, 11:57:40 PM
This was posted by Kayrn in the Software forum for a special PreSonus upgrade:

"A message from Rick Naqvi—VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics

http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/presonus-cakewalk-crossgrade-offer/

Rick Naqvi
Dear Cakewalk Customers,
We were just as shocked as you were to hear about the closing of Cakewalk. Although they were one our competitors, we have a huge amount of respect for them and there is no doubt that they have been one of the pioneers in computer-based recording as well as innovators in our industry for 30 years. We also had several friends within the company who lost their jobs, and we are truly sorry to hear about this. This sort of thing is never good for our industry—it affects the employees and their families as well as all of the customers who gave their loyal support for so many years.
With that in mind, we wanted to extend an open invitation for you to become part of the PreSonus Studio One community.
We typically offer a significant discount for customers that are coming from other DAWs to Studio One so that they can get it for about 25% off the price of a standalone copy of Studio One Professional. However, through the end of this year, we want Cakewalk customers to be able to to enjoy Studio One Professional at half off the existing crossgrade price—around $149 USD; exact pricing and currency will vary by region, of course.
We will offer this special cross grade through a handful of select dealers worldwide and also through our direct shop.

So to summarize ..  50% for Sonar cross grades until the end of the year."

http://forum.cakewalk.com/A-message-from-Rick-NaqviVP-of-Sales-PreSonus-Audio-Electronics-m3696884.aspx

Amicus717

more Offline
  • Living here
#18 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 02, 2017, 04:58:35 AM
So, I had something of a revelation over the last day or two...I wanted to try Cubase (wanted to for a while) but I don't have an e-licenser and I wasn't interested in paying $40 just to demo software I likely wasn't going to buy.

So I downloaded Cubase Elements and gave it a run through...and I'm loving it. It's really very good software, different than Sonar but still (to me) very intuitive and powerful, and I really, really like its midi implementation. I've been able to figure out what I want to do with not a lot of fuss, and its really pleasant to use. The interface is clean, easy to read and reasonably uncluttered. I'm surprised at the level of polish. For the first time, I am seriously considering if I need to look into grabbing Cubase Pro while its at this never-seen-before crossgrade price. I can't imagine it will be this cheap very often, and while I still intend to carry on with SPLAT, eventually I think I'll want to shift over to something current, and it would be great to have Cubase in the stable and ready to saddle up when that happens...I'm genuinely impressed with it...

bitflipper

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#19 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 03, 2017, 02:20:06 AM
I considered Cubase myself.  Its MIDI features are probably the best around for virtual-instrument guys like me who also do a fair amount of audio.

Still put off by the dongle (although users tell me it's never been a problem like iLok has), and Steinberg's terrible reputation for gouging customers and ignoring their wishes. I'm really trying to separate the product from the company and its business practices. It's not working.

Amicus717

more Offline
  • Living here
#20 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 03, 2017, 10:21:15 PM
Actually, it is interesting that you should mention that -- of all the DAW making companies out there, I have found Steinberg to be the most impenetrable and confusing. Their website is hard to figure out, in terms of pricing, demo availability, etc; their distribution chain seems rather convoluted, and tracking down a specific price or deal requires way more legwork than I would have expected in this age of downloads and instant gratification. To give you a sense of where things are for folks like me buying in Canada: Yamaha Canada is the official distribution chain for Steinberg products, and the Steinberg Canada site still featured Cubase 7 as the lead product: https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/steinberg_products/steinberg_software/cubase/index.html

No one at any of the stores I spoke to had a) heard of Cakewalk's demise (and most of these store carry Cakewalk retail box products, including Platinum), and b) the Cubase crossover deal. Some dude on the Cakewalk forum, who seems like he might be a Steinberg rep, has said that they will make sure everyone who wants Cubase will have access to the product, wherever they are from...

I submitted a helpdesk ticket to the main Steinberg site in Sept for my copy of Halion Symphonic instrument, as I was having authorization issues. Took them two weeks to get back to me, to tell me they were sending the request to Steinberg Canada, and the Canadian operation would deal with it. Steinberg Canada never got back to me. I figured out the issue on my own, but as far as Steinberg knows, 3 months later I still can't use the product I purchased...

And yet...I am totally impressed by Cubase Elements, and have really been enjoying using it. I find it every bit as friendly and configurable as Sonar, and I like working with it. I am even, Lord-forgive me saying this, finding Element's midi tools a bit easier to use than Sonar's. Not in major ways, just the layout and design of the PRV is more useful to how I work, and its been a pleasure using it...

bitflipper

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#21 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 15, 2017, 06:49:14 PM
Looks like I've joined Team Samplitude.

After careful consideration and a not-insignificant amount of hair-pulling trials, I determined that this DAW comes closest to SONAR in features and ease of use. It's still puzzling in many ways, as any new DAW environment is bound to be, and it'll probably be a couple months before I complete a serious project.

In the meantime, SONAR remains my primary DAW and likely will for some time.

ZMODs

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#22 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 24, 2017, 05:04:18 AM
I would agree with this graphically speaking. But Samplitude kept frustrating me to the point I stopped trying it and went back to SO3 which keeps surprising me the more I use it. I also would like to see it's PRV open multiple tracks in one window. Tho Sonar is the only one that does that*, I think they ruined the PRV mildly with the latest changes. A simple click in SO3 gets you to another track quickly which helps a little... And I like the Controller Pane much better than Sonar's.

EDIT:
*In SO3, opening several tracks in PRV is done the same as Sonar. The track list is to the left and only has editing ON/OFF for each one.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:16:40 AM by ZMODs »

bk

more Offline
#23 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 28, 2017, 02:47:30 AM
Cubase is the only one that requires a dongle.

The Mixcraft EULA: http://acoustica.com/kb/end-user-agreement-for-mixcraft-6_1207.html
It doesn't say anything about installing on more than one computer.

Presonus gives you 5 activations for Studio One. You can de-activate previous licenses, though, so if you go through more than 5 computer upgrades you'll be OK.
Late to the party here... sorry for my lack of understanding, but can Studio One be used on multiple computers simultaneously (e.g., desktop & laptop)???

ZMODs

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#24 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 29, 2017, 04:45:06 AM
Same as Sonar:
(a) Licensee is granted one (1) license to install and use the Licensed Software on a single computer at a time. Licensee may install and use the software on another computer, but the software may not be in use on more than one computer at a time, unless you purchase additional licenses.

EULA

In the case of Mixraft, if the EULA doesn't specify then it's not likely an issue. In fact, it was mentioned somewhere you can have more than one instance open at the same time on the same computer. A nice thing since you can only open one project in each one. It doesn't even have a "Close" function.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:54:01 AM by ZMODs »

ZMODs

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#25 Re: SONAR Alternatives
December 29, 2017, 05:03:10 AM
On a related note, another discussion was about which SONAR-bundled plugins work with other DAWs. Here are some that do:

CA2A
LPEQ
LPMB
Percussion Strip
Vocal Strip
Transient Shaper
Tube Leveler
Bifilter
Studio Instruments
Addictive Drums
Session Drummer
Dimension Pro
Rapture

Here are some that DON'T:

Adaptive Limiter
Breverb
TH3
Studio Instruments
Session Drummer

You listed Studio Instruments & Session Drummer (2&3) in each list? They DO work outside Sonar.

Also, the Overloud BREVERB, TH3, & ReMatrix Solo now work with attainable unlock codes.

bitflipper

more Offline
  • Global Moderator
  • [SONAR Mods]
#26 Re: SONAR Alternatives
January 01, 2018, 06:22:13 AM
Yes. Studio Instruments does work in other DAWs. That was a typo.

Session Drummer, I haven't tried yet. Someone posted that it didn't run in other DAWs, so I may have been guilty of repeating uncorroborated hearsay.

Doc

more Offline
  • Doc
    • My site
#27 Re: SONAR Alternatives
January 05, 2018, 11:28:01 PM
I”d add Propellerheads Reason to the mix of alternatives as well.

Pro’s
Runs on Windows or Mac
Intuitive to use
Flexible
Supports VSTs
Can be “rewired” to most other Daws as a slave to host (great for when you need to score to video)
Stable like a rock
Easy to see interface
Light weight

Con’s
Cost. It’s a bit pricey
Hot key shortcuts are unique to Reason
Requires a permanent machine license or dongle

Yes if you use dongle. But it’s specific to Reason. So if you are also using ILok you will need two open USB ports. But the dongle will work on an external hub
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning